About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Weekend Re-Cap: Best Cabin Ever is Open!

January 8, 2006

I'm finally not feeling like a piece of useless trash anymore, thank god, the end is near! I can breathe, taste, am using minimal tissue and have only a slight hack. Hooray!

I spent the weekend in Tahoe, in the wonderful mountains, ahhh yes, the season has begun! We got our cabin back this weekend and headed up late Friday night (me, Will, Ashley, JonZ). We got there a little after 1 AM...ick.

SATURDAY

The lack of pow-pow on the mountains meant that there was no need for an early wake-up on Saturday morning. We definitely took our sweet time getting out of the house. We headed over to Heidi's Pancake House, a typical breakkie joint with a huge menu, for a late morning brunch. To be honest, we didn't get to the hill until 1 pm. Perfect!

We cruised the runs that were open for a couple hours. I called it after two hours because I ran out of Kleenex and Ricola drops and headed to the California side bar to save a table and watch some NFL playoff games. I had a great coffee with Bailey's to tide me over until Will, Ashley and JonZ showed up.

After chilling at the bar, we headed back to the cabin and made dinner, hot-tubbed, watched the insanity of the Dallas Cowboys vs. Seattle Seahawks football game, and played euchre. I am the official euchre loser! I couldn't win no matter what team I was on!

Around 10 pm, we coerced Chookie to drive me, Will, Ashley, Wendy, and JonZ to the casinos. We headed over to good ol' Bill's Casino, where it's a little bit more divy and has cheaper tables. Chookie and I hit the $5 craps table for over an hour and had some good luck. One lady rolled for a long time and it was so much fun. I was betting pretty conservatively which probably saved my wallet from seizing. I wisely pulled my chips at the craps table when I was back to being up $25 (max $100 at one point). I watched Will and Chookie continue with craps, watching all my numbers show up (oy! why does that always happen as soon as you leave!?!), but showed enough restraint and didn't pull my chips back out...

From the craps table, we couldn't resist the $5 2-deck blackjack table. Will, Chookie, JonZ, Ashley and Wendy ended up eventually at the same table. It was a battle for a couple hours between us and the house. Overall, I think the house prevailed. I once again pulled my chips off the table when I was close to my buy-in and stayed $26 up on the night overall. Hooray! I guess all my losses in euchre helped my gambling karma!

Home time was around 2:30 am. I can't imagine that this helped me recover any quicker...

SUNDAY

I'm not going to lie to you. I had no intention of boarding on Sunday in the first place, so I had no problem sleeping in again. My intention was to use Sunday to recover from the inevitable Saturday gambling craziness. Turns out, Will, Ashley and JonZ had the same intentions. We slept in, watched some more football, and then packed up all our gear.

We went to Ernie's Coffee Shop for another super-late brunch. Ashley and Will discovered a new gem of a brekkie called the "Huevos Ernesto", a luscious pile of nacho chips, eggs, avocado, cheese, refried beans and spicy beef. Apparently a winner.

From Ernie's, we hit the road for a record-breaking 3 hour drive back to SF. It was awesome!

As you've already noticed, I didn't have any pics of the weekend. I was a little too sick to remember my little Canon digi, and let's be honest, I had too much gambling to do. Winning is so much fun!

No comments: