FRIDAY
On Friday night, we made last-minute plans to cook dinner at 828 in the Castro. The plans were formulated somewhere during my errands between REI and Safeway, and the conversation between me and Wendy was something like:
Bea: We could do dinner out or cook at your house.
Wendy: Yeah, I could be up for dinner, something like Pakwan or Sunflower, or we could do dinner at my house.
Bea: Yeah, I have no preference. If we cooked, what do we make?
Wendy: I dunno, something easy, we could do something from Geneve's food blog.
...15 minutes of "I dunno", "That sounds good", "That could work"... and then we settled on making the "Rockin' Moroccan" Chicken and Cous Cous recipe.
So, Will and I headed down to 828 to join Abe, Wendy and Kenny. Once we actually got all the ingredients, it turned out to be really simple and easy to make (go Geneve!). The cous cous was soooo yummy and despite the hurdles of a crazy too-hot barbeque, our stomachs were happily filled with a great tasting and spicy (in a good way) chicken skewer.

Abe breaks out the guaro from El Salvador...eww...


After dinner, we were playing with Kenny's cool geeky computer stuff and ended up trying out the "Photo Booth" application on his Mac Powerbook. It has a bunch of fun options for the camera to add some zest to a regular photo.
Here are some of the fun shots we took playing with "Photo Booth":


Mirror...
Fisheye...
Pop Art...
Tunnel...
Colored pencil...
Thermal camera...



Wow...we could've had fun for hours upon hours with that application. Instead, we finally dragged ourselves away from the computer and headed out of the house to meet up with some people in the SOMA district. We ended up at Wish, where we seem to be ending up a lot these days, where JonZ, Mark, Pete, Emily, Woody, Olivia and her friend also ended up.






By late o'clock, it was time to go home, and competition for cabs was super tight. Will, Wendy and I ended up walking to Market Street before catching a cab. Sheesh!
SATURDAY
The agenda for the weekend involved two back-to-back 4 hour frisbee practices...ick! Our team takes most of July on frisbee hiatus, so we had a double practice weekend (with a potluck in the middle!) to close out the spring before our pre-fall series craziness ensues. We have three tournaments at the end of July and early August to bring us back into the full-time frisbee mode to look forward to...
So, an extensive morning sleep-in led to a mad scramble for breakfast and prepping for the evening's potluck festivities. Practice was from 1-5 pm, where we chased a frisbee around the Beach Chalet fields. After practice, Will and I stopped briefly at Wise Surf Shop to pick up wetsuit booties for me, and a leash and wax for Will...we're so Cali right now! I got some rad O'Neill Freak Sneak booties. Now I have no excuse not to go surfing in the extreme rigid cold water!
We headed home and frisbee folks started congregating at our casa in time for the 7:30 pm potluck. The menu for the evening included:
- Guacamole & chips
- Ahi Tuna poke with fried won ton chips
- Fruit salad
- Mixed greens salad with apples, avocado, walnuts and a mustardy vinaigrette
- Spaghetti and meat balls (I made 150 meatballs!)
- Broiled salmon
- Vegetarian chili




For dessert, Kerry Soo made a wonderful double layer rich chocolate cake for Patrick (and Bridgette!) to celebrate their upcoming wedding. She made a wonderful fondant icing and decorated with fresh flowers. It was delicious!






After dinner (and a lot of grazing of leftover food), the group headed over the Pink Palace, where Henrik and Shaun were hosting a Beirut/Dance-Dance-Revolution party. Beirut is a drinking game that involves a ping-pong table, cups o' beer, and ping-pong balls. Dance-Dance-Revolution (or DDR to the cool kids) is a video game that encompasses electronic dance music, dance moves, and dance pads. It really is quite the spectacle.









I hit a sweet wall of tiredness around 12:30 am, and in light of the cab-catching issues from the night before, I called a cab and guaranteed a ride home (with a whiskey-laden Will, of course). Oh wonderful and lovely king bed...
SUNDAY
More blessed sleep-in time, and then a brekkie of bacon and eggs (yum!). But then came time to drive me and Coco to another 4-hour frisbee practice. Will had injured his groin muscle on Saturday, so he opted for a mountain bike ride with the boys in Marin in lieu of practice. For me, it was more chasing a frisbee around the fields of South San Francisco High School, this time in crazy wind (good practice for throwing!). But alas, I was relieved when practice was over, it's hard on the body to have 8 hours of practice in one weekend...hello lactic acid!
Coco and I stopped at Target on the way home in Colma, and if I have the time, I really do enjoy perusing Target and all its offerings. Did you know that they sell wine now?!?!
In the end, it was a very tiring weekend. Thankfully, our team rarely does double practice weekends, but the tournaments usually take a lot out of us as well. I'm looking forward to the long weekend coming up. Will's brother, John and his wife, Emily, are coming into town from New Zealand for part of the weekend, the first of many stops on their North America tour. And then my mom rolls into town for the long weekend, a last weekend with Olivia and her girls before the twins come!
July is going to be insane...
1 comment:
You really should brush up on your San Francisco geography. 828 is actually in Duboce Triangle. Maybe this Wikipedia entry will help you out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duboce_Triangle
Post a Comment