About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Weekend Re-Cap: I Think I can, I Think I Can

August 28, 2006

Holy bejeesus, it's already the end of August.

FRIDAY

After work on Friday, I dropped Will off at the airport, as he was headed home to Calgary. I'll be joining him on Tuesday afternoon, as we go back home for a wedding and some quality time with the folks.

I spent the start of the weekend pretty much like the last weekend, dedicating my Friday night and most of Saturday to helping my sister with the kiddies. It was unfortunate that due to my San Jose good sisterly duties, I missed out on Patrick and Bridgette's post-nuptial shebang at the Pink Palace...so instead of playing beirut, flip-cup and dodging Patrick and whatever gardening tool he manages to dig up, I was busy with feedings, burpings, dirty diaper changing and more not-sleeping. At least this time, I got two hours of sleep instead of just one. And as a bonus, I managed to get both Simon and Charlotte on different feeding schedules so that Angie and Jack could get some much-needed sleep.

I also watched a horrendous film called "Hostel", a film associated with Quentin Tarantino. It was, quite possibly, the goriest film ever made. It really was quite unnecessary for me to watch, but it was near impossible to not watch. Awful, indeed.

Some mandatory kiddie pics:


SATURDAY

I left my sister's house late Saturday afternoon and headed over to Terrina's house, where she was hosting a Relish At Home party. Relish is a great boutique in Berkeley, who will do house parties and you can do all your fun accessory shopping at a friend's house. One of the owners of Relish used to be a buyer for my favorite SF boutique, Ambiance, so it was a given that I would do some damage (I got some earrings and a necklace...hooray!)

And, by the time I got home, I was so overly exhausted that I didn't do any of the following social options:

1) Meet up with Angela's birthday celebration - I was too late to meet up in Cole Valley for the afternoon session of revelry....HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA!

2) Meet up with Vitaly's birthday bbq (featuring crayfish, shaslik, and vodka and at Baker Beach - I was also too late to meet up for bbq...HAPPY BIRTHDAY VITALY!

3) Go to Emeryville for teammate Chuck's woe-is-me-I'm-injured dinner - I was not too late for dinner, but the sad, sad truth is that I had no energy to drive my baby-puke smelling ass over the bridge for dinner...SPEEDY ANKLE RECOVERY CHUCK!

SUNDAY

A very satisfying 13 hour sleep was sufficient to help with the sleep deprivation from Friday night. I went on a massive cleaning spree, overhauled my closet, dusted, vacuumed, and dropped of a sizeable donation at Goodwill.

From there, I met up with Key and Wendy at Levende Lounge to try their infamous brunch. I head heard rumblings of this great brunch spot but had never managed to get there for brunch. I had also been to Levende plenty for dinner, so it was interesting to see this place under the natural light of day.

They have a fantastic make-your-own Bloody Mary bar, which I'd love to sample on another day (I had frisbee practice in the afternoon and it's a good standard not to show up to practice completely lit from too many Bloody Marys). Their brunch menu is very good, they seem to like the make-your-own theme and have sections for making your own: egg omelette/scramble, eggs benedict, buttermilk pancakes, traditional breakfast combos.

I chose the Stuffed French toast, filled with ricotta and raspberry stuffing and with a corn-flake crust. It was phenomenal. It was decadent. The maple syrup was to die for. As you can see above, my chaser was a side of applewood smoke bacon...yum!


Both Key and Wendy made their own Eggs benedict. Pictured above is Key's creation, with a crabcake on top of english muffin, and covered in a chipolte Hollandaise.



Wendy's version of the benedict had a scallop cake with regular Hollandaise...yummy too!



Oh yeah, we had a side of home potatoes too, which were delightfully seasoned with some spices that made them taste almost like Kettle chips...



We finished brunch and next thing I knew, it was time to head to Castro Valley for frisbee practice. No rest for the wicked. So, four hours of running (cleverly disguised sprinting drills were abundant) and after practice, Wendy and I were off and running to meet Katharine for girls' catch-up dinner. Kat was heading to Europe soon for part of her sabbatical and as I was heading to Calgary, it was a good opportunity to see her before her travels.

We headed over to Inner Richmond to check out Q Restaurant.


Q does great comfort food in a funky and relaxed atmosphere. It had been a couple years since I had been here and I always wonder why I don't wander into this neighborhood more.

They have a wonderful raspberry iced tea, while Wendy found the lemonade to be too tart.


Both Wendy and I chose the Southern Fried Fulton Valley chicken with braised vegetables and mashed potatoes to die for.

Kat chose the Wild Salmon Salad.


For dessert, Wendy had to have the apple crisp with whipped cream, which was also amazing.

And the weekend ended with a very tired note, as I felt like I was running on low steam and collapsed into bed once more. And, I'm off to Calgary on Tuesday afternoon for some family time, a frisbee wedding and more good times. Stay tuned!

No comments: