About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Greens

November 14, 2005

A bunch of us went to Greens Restaurant last night for Courtney's birthday (our little girl's growing up!). I thought that I might miss most of this dinner because of my weekly bowling league, but the games went fast and I made it in time for the late reservation...

(FYI, my bowling series was 147-151-162).

Well, anyone who knows me even at the acquaintance level recognizes my love affair with meat. And not specifically one type of meat, I love it all--beef, pork, chicken, lamb, spam--a meal isn't complete without it. So, although I was always intrigued and encouraged to try our city's finest vegetarian restaurants, you can imagine my hesitations.

A look down the dinner table

Greens Restaurant is infamous for its vegetarian cuisine and I finally had a chance to try it. It is located in one of the buildings in Fort Mason by the Marina Green, and it was a beautiful night, so we had views to the Golden Gate Bridge. The main dining area is a wonderful space, with particularly interesting carved wooden seating in one area.

Our table shared many of the appetizers, my favorite was the yukon gold potato and yam griddle cakes. My entree was a spinach fettucine with carmelized onions, gorgonzola cream, basil walnuts and parmesan...yummy! Will had the wild mushroom ravioli which was fantastic as well. For dessert, I had some of the best sorbet I've ever tasted (the grape was amazing), and I had a sampling of some other desserts within striking vicinity of my spoon, including Will's pumpkin and pear bread pudding.

The birthday girl with her luscious layered chocolate cake

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COURTNEY! And thanks for being vegetarian so that I finally had a good reason to leave the sanctuary of meat-atarianism, even if for a brief interlude.

No comments: