It was a nice treat to have a short work week due to the Labor Day long weekend, but unfortunately, the workload was the same, if not more intense. It's hard to believe that it's already been more than a year since I switched into my new job, time has zipped on by. And, with frisbee season in full swing, I need to slip in as much time as possible with my sister's family before I'm outta town for fall series.
FRIDAY
As usual, I headed down to San Jose to hang with the babies for Friday night. A far-cry from my dear friends back in the city who embarked on a night of alcoholic indulgence. While they were carousing and text messaging me, I was changing diapers and feeding babies. Woe is me.
But damn, are Charlotte and Simon ever getting big and they are wonderfully chunky. Simon is starting to catch up to his older, chunkier sister, as he is now over 10 pounds, while Charlotte is close to 13 pounds. Sumo legs!
Despite the fact that both babies are sleeping better at night, I still only got about 2 hours sleep because they're both on different feeding schedules. Woe is me.
SATURDAY
Saturday morning came, which meant that Olivia's first tap/ballet/jazz class was going to happen. She was so excited that she couldn't sleep. It was adorable.
The dance school has strict dress code requirements, as all the little dancers-to-be had to wear their hair in a bun, wear a black leotard and pink tights. She also had the cutest little tap shoes and ballet shoes. Olivia calls it "ball-eh".

On her way to ball-eh class...
By 2:30 pm, I headed out and back to the city. The intention was to take a nap, do dinner with Wendy and maybe head out for Will Tams' art show opening at DaDa, a new-ish art studio/bar in SOMA. I accomplished item number 1. I was comatose until 7 pm, and then was awake long enough to eat some dinner and watch three episodes of Season 3 of Arrested Development on DVD. Gosh, that show is funny.
SUNDAY
Sunday morning came and I finally had some energy. It's amazing how one night of babies always takes me out for a day and half. My poor sister and bro-in-law are so sleep-deprived that they don't even know what rest is anymore.
Will and I went to Outer Richmond to meet up with Frodo for dim sum. Yup, that's right, Frodo is back in town from his SE Asian travels. And despite his pleas, I don't think that I will ever be able to call him Robert (his real name), as Frodo has been ingrained in my brain forever.
We met around 10:45 am at Ton Kiang, a famous dim sum spot on Geary that is always busy. But because we made it in before the mad rush at lunchtime, we had a table right away. Nice!
We had the usual smattering of dim sum favorites, including:
Ha Gao - shrimp dumplings
Siu Mai - pork dumplings
Noi Mai Gai - sticky rice with meat wrapped in leaf
Dai Dze Gao - scallop and shrimp dumplings
Ha Yeung - shrimp balls
Ha Cheung - shrimp in long rice noodle
Dan Tat - egg custard tart
Jin Doy - sesame balls
We also had some pea shoots and some shrimp-stuffed scallop (are you sensing a theme here?)
After delicious dim sum, Will and I went over to Katharine's casa to feed her diva-cat, Akela. While Kat is in Europe(France, Italy) on her sabbatical, Kenny was going to come back from his Canadian visit to house-sit, but was unexpectedly detained in our homeland. So, Wendy, Ashley, Abe, Will and I are trying to fill the gap and make sure that Akela and the plants are fed and loved until Kat gets back. When we got to Kat's house, Akela was jumping for some food and was rubbing against my legs (which she never does).
From Kat's house, it was back home to get ready for frisbee practice from 2-6 pm at Stanford. It was great to practice on Stanford's luscious Roble fields. It was nice and sunny in Palo Alto, so different than the cool misty fog of SF.
After practice, our team was having a BBQ at Geoff Dolan's parent's place in Los Altos. On the way there on Hwy 280, my front driver side tire decided that it was satisfied with its performance thus far and was going to retire. It wasn't quite a blow-out, but thankfully I pulled over quickly, as that baby was smoking. Also thankfully, Will and Coco were on hand to change my tire and I didn't have to use my quick dialing fingers for AAA help. Sheesh.
So, by the time we got to the Dolan house, I was excited to dip in the hot tub and have some girly Bartles and James Strawberry Daquiris. We had a nice BBQ and it was great to have most of the team together for some fun times. Will, Wendy and some other folks did some nice backflips and tricks off the diving board.
It took us about an hour to get home, as the poor little spare tire doesn't like to go over 50 mph. It's insane how impatient people on the freeway get with you if you're not clicking along at 80 mph. I was driving 50 mph in the right-most lane with my hazards on, and still, people were flashing their lights at me and tailgating. Some good perspective for me, as I usually like to drive in the fast lane.
Great start for Monday, as I'll need to go to Costco and pick up a brand new set of tires...joy!
1 comment:
Did you really let the chicken feet go by???? I'm so disappointed.
Post a Comment