About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Scott Howard

April 26, 2007

Last night I headed over to the Financial District/North Beach for a work dinner at Scott Howard. It's been over a year since I've been to Scott Howard, so I was interested to see if it had changed at all.

I got there a little early and had a cocktail at the bar. Apparently, Scott Howard has a happy hour from 5-7 pm on Tuesday through Friday ($5 specialty cocktails, $2 bottled beer, $2 well drinks, $1 oysters on the half shell). From the cocktail menu, I chose the Zoe Rain (Oronoco Rum, fruit juices, Lime Zest, a float of Myer’s Dark Rum). It had quite the kick, and I sure enjoyed it.

The rest of the folks arrived and we got on with the socializing, work small talk and the menu perusing. Scott Howard's menu starts with a "raw" list, which is always appealing to the sashimi-lover in me.

Our table shared a bottle of sancerre and a pinot noir, although I'm not sure exactly which bottles they were. I love it when someone else harnesses the wine list and takes control. Love it!

I started with the Hamachi, with pickled cucumber, seaweed and truffled ponzu sauce. It was lovely, the fish was extremely fresh, with a generous slice, and the pickled cucumber was refreshing.


My boss ordered the Hama hama oysters with Serrano chili salsa, rice vinegar & sake mignonette. The display was pretty, so she offered to let me blog it.


For the entree, I ordered the one thing I could not get off my mind...the Short ribs with orzo "mac & cheese", king trumpet mushrooms, gremolata and tomato jus. Hello, comfort food! The short ribs were perfectly braised, tender, and boneless (bonus!). It was the perfect proportion. The king trumpet mushrooms were a perfect accompaniment, and the orzo mac n' cheese was delicious and a fun take on the typical mac n' cheese pairing. I would go back again and again for this dish.

I chose not to have dessert of the typical variety and opted for a glass of riesling that tasted like an ice wine. Yum!

It was a great night, the service was great and the food was right on the mark. I'm not sure if it's my bad memory, but I'm thinking that the entree prices have decreased a little since I last came. Scott Howard also offers a $60 tasting menu (for the whole table only) and a $32 prix-fixe menu and optional $15 wine pairing. All in all, many options to try good food at reasonable prices.

Check it out!

No comments: