About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Weekend Re-Cap: Happy Hour & Wyatt Riot

April 1, 1007

FRIDAY

On Friday, my department had an offsite where we went and worked on a house with Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity is "a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization building simple, decent, affordable housing in partnership with people in need". I worked on a site in Brisbane, a 2-level 2 bedroom house. I got to work with a crew that was nailing fiberglass cement siding on the side of a house on the truss of the top level of scaffolding. Scary!

Here's a picture that my co-worker Todd took with his cell phone of me at the top of the ladder nailing some side boards prior to climbing the scaffolding:



It was pretty fun, but I can see how it takes some time to build a house with volunteers. They spend all this time training you for about 6 hours of actual work. I had to take off early and head back to work, so they only got 5 hours out of me...

By Friday afternoon, I was jonesing for a good happy hour. I had been looking forward to it all week, as it had been sometime since I had taken advantage of Bacar's Friday Happy Hour specials ($1 oysters; half price cocktails/beer from 2:30-6:30 pm). Will, Abe and I took a crazy cab down to Bacar with a driver who was demonstrating his grasp of Shakespearean insults, and managed to get to Bacar around 5:40. Adam, Wade, Woody, MG, Kerry Soo and PK joined us as well.

My favorite Raspberry gimlet:





From Bacar, we had to zip up to North Beach to Grant and Green Saloon , where our favorite fiddler, Chucktown, was playing with his band, Wyatt Riot. It was a private party held by his actuarial company and his bandmates are co-workers. Chuck put us on a magic list that got us wristbands giving access to free food and booze. Trouble!









Here's Chuck taking the lead with a sweet version of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues":




Thank you to Chuck's company for giving his friends far too much beer and cocktails. At 10:30, we were all toast and went to Golden Boy Pizza down the street to minimize the damage.



Where did these bunnies come from?

SATURDAY

Oh the pain of Saturday morning...especially painful when I got awaken at 7 am by my sister reminding me that I had to be in San Jose in the next two hours to help her with an all-day flea market sale that her Twins' club was hosting and that she organized. Ouch.

I got to San Jose after 9 am and helped her hock her goodies until 4 pm. I think I finally felt non-toxic around 3 pm. After the sale, I went to her place to see the kiddies before coming home.


Simon has become very grabby. He likes to grab whatever Charlotte has in her hands. Here's a pic of him doing the "reach over"...



More evidence of Simon grabbing Charlotte's things:

I'm off to NYC next weekend for a long weekend with my girls, Sonia and Sarah. The whole family is heading home to Vulcan/Calgary in a couple weeks for my dad's 60th birthday, so the next time I see the kiddies, we'll all be home and my mom and dad will be spoiling the kids rotten. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Noel said...

Hi Bea! Man those kiddo's are so dang cute! I need to get down there and see them soon.

melissa aka paco said...

hahah that last pic is sooo cute. she looks shocked with her hands up too..they are growing up fast