About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Allergies 101 & Movie Madness

March 27, 2006

On Friday, I went to my allergist to start the dreaded regimen of twice-weekly allergy shots. I'm highly allergic to almost all things environmental, so I have to go in to the clinic for the first four sets of shots in order to be monitored for any anaphylactic reaction to the shots. After those four shots, I get sent home with a home-kit and I have the pleasure of poking myself twice a week in each leg. The right leg gets the "pollens", which include many trees and grasses that my body has a large aversion to. The left leg gets the "inhalants", which include dust mites and cat. The most entertaining part of the clinic visit was the demonstration on how to use an Epi-Pen, an auto-injector that administers epinephrine in the event that I go into anaphylactic shock after giving myself allergy shots...joy!

Later that night, I was happily enjoying a veg night on the couch, in my pajamas, giving myself a pedicure, when my good friend, Adam, called from SFO, where he had missed his flight. So, Adam hopped in a cab and I finished my pedicure. It was sad to leave the comfy cozy sanctuary of the couch and my pj's, but we headed out to the AMC Kabuki to see the movie "V for Vendetta".


Three major things of note on this movie experience:
1) We got porn-star parking right in front of the entrance, in the middle of a rainstorm...I think this burned any parking karma that I've accumulated for the next year.
2) AMC Kabuki = old-school uncomfortable seats with no leg-room
3) "V For Vendetta" was a highly entertaining movie with political messaging that is brightened significantly by the fact that the protagonist wears a silly grinning Guy Fawkes mask

The Saturday morning itinerary started with breakfast with Adam in Cole Valley at Crepes on Cole. I had the scrumptious Hawaiian crepe (ham, cheddar, brown sugar, soy sauce, but without the pineapple), which was a wise choice. I dropped Adam at SFO, cleaned/dusted my house, and then headed to San Jose.

I stopped at San Jose Municipal Golf Course to finally pick up my new Big Bertha Calloway FT-3 Fusion driver that I had purchased three months ago...it's about time!



And then to my sister's house where I got to play with Olivia, who's a pretty damn smart and sassy 3 year old.




On Sunday, I managed to make the turbo kickbox class at the gym, and then headed over to meet Key for brunch. Key's idea was to go for "upscale" brunch at 2223 Restaurant in the Castro. Upscale refers to anti-diner.

For brunch:
Key - South Beach Benedict (roasted seasonal vegetables & hollandaise with prosciutto)
Bea - Ahi "Nicoise" Style Salad (romaine, taragon dressing, sunny-side up egg, applewood bacon, ahi tuna "carpaccio")

The "Nicoise" salad was a new addition to the 2223 Brunch menu, and boy, it did not disappoint. It was the perfect combination of everything I could have wanted for brunch and I enjoyed it immensely. The coffee was very good as well. On another note, 2223 was a gay man's brunch paradise. When we walked in, the room was checking out Key and I've never seen such hip Sunday brunch fashion.

After brunch, Key and I ran errands and then met up with Katharine by her casa for an Ocean beach stroll.







I continued the movie madness of the weekend by going to yet another new movie (in a theater!). I went with Abe, Frodo and Coco to go see Spike Lee's new movie "Inside Man".

Major items of note for the "Inside Man" experience:
1) Jodie Foster has spectacular legs
2) Spike Lee can include political/race commentary with subtle humor
3) Clive Owen is sexy

And just for fun, I finally got a hold of some pictures from my sister, Angie, and brother-in-law, Jack, from when the took Olivia to Disneyland, California Adventure, SeaWorld, and the Wild Animal Park:















No comments: