The weekend has been on of my most productive to date, although maybe not as exciting as others. On Saturday, Will and I met up with our friends, Beth and Tony, for brunch at the new-ish location of Chez Maman in Bernal Heights (an offshoot of the popular Potrero Hill tiny restaurant). Brunch was great, with the much-needed yummy coffee and french delicacies.
Will - Croque Madam with egg
Bea - Complete Crepe (ham, gruyere, eggs)
It was great to catch up with Beth, a great artist who I met post-ACL-surgery at physical therapy. Beth and Tony have recently been dealing with new home renovation trials and tribulations (damn the city permit bureaucracy!) and have also recently gotten engaged...CONGRATULATIONS!
After brunch, Will and I headed home, where he did his taxes and I donned a filtering anti-allergen masked and cleaned en masse. We went to Target, to Home Depot, and would've gone to Bed, Bath & Beyond, but there just wasn't enough time. I shredded two years worth of old bills and receipts. I did bedding laundry. Will tried to put up the new faux wood blinds but discovered that the "helpful" Home Depot girl didn't cut them down enough. I installed the new air purifier in my "office". All in all, very productive.
On Saturday night, we were supposed to hang out with our friend, John Bromley, in town for work, but he was too busy hob-nobbing with the executive-type folks that he met that day at Google to make it back up to the city. Abe, Will and I consoled ourselves with hot sake, large Asahi beers and sushi at Yo Yo Restaurant in the mission.
I was saddened to awake on Sunday morning to realize that I lost an hour with the whole "Spring Forward" Daylight Saving bullsh#$. I love the fact that both Arizona and Hawaii do not observe DST, in addition to many regions/countries around the world (China, parts of Canada, India, Iran, Pakistan, parts of Australia). It's not confusing enough to go traveling and have to figure out the time change, but to have to figure out if DST is in the mix...sheesh! Do the reasons even hold water anymore? Talk amongst yourselves.
Anyway, we may have benefitted from the DST confusion on Sunday morning, as the line in front of the Pork Store was notably shorter than usual. John finally made it back up to SF and joined us for our favorite belly-busting diner brekkie.
The soggy weather inspired us to head to the De Young Museum in GG Park. It was definitely less busy than the last time I had been there during the Christmas holidays.
We checked out the 9th level observation deck, which looked pretty much exactly the same as when I went on a rainy day with Benedetta in December:





Other exciting favorites in the De Young:











From the De Young, we took John on a driving tour of SF, where we drove Lincoln to Ocean Beach, past the Cliff House, by the Legion of Honor and Lincoln Golf Course, through SeaCliff to see all the amazing houses, to China Beach, past Baker Beach, to Golden Gate Bridge, through the Marina, past the Legion of Honor and then for hot chocolate on Chestnut Street in the Marina at the Grove Cafe.
Onto the driving tour of SF in the kinda-rain:




John had to catch his flight back to Vancouver in the afternoon, so I enjoyed the warmth of bed and an entertaining book (Tami Hoag's "Kill the Messenger") while it continued to drizzle outside. Will decided to head up to Tahoe and catch some of the pow-pow precipitation and I headed over to Lucky 13 to an "au revoir" gathering for our good friend, Frodo, who is embarking on his own traveling extravaganza in this upcoming week. Frodo will be traveling to New Zealand, Australia and Southeast Asia.




Frodo has developed a fear of inadequate travel journalism (possibly fostered by Kenny's amazing and prolific travel blog), which is fueling is anti-travel blog sentiments. Therefore, I have invited Frodo to send me travel updates and I will happily guest blog for him. Stay tuned for Frodo's wacky travel tales...
No comments:
Post a Comment