About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Editors

April 30, 2005

Thankfully the weather has gotten much better in the past week or so, people are happier and we can actually do spring stuff outside. Will and I spent Saturday afternoon at tryout practices for the team we played with last year, Brass Monkey...and so it starts, the next season of silly frisbee. Four hours of sprinting, catching and throwing later, we headed over to Dave Brokaw's pad for a barbeque. BBQs are definitely a sign that we're in sunnier times.

For the second night in a row, we had tickets to go see a show. Last night, Will, Abe and I headed down to Mezzanine in SOMA to go see the new New Wave band-to-see-and-talk-about from England, The Editors. I've been pretty psyched about this band lately, as their songs have been popping up the past few monthly mixes.

If we're not really interested in the opening bands, we always try to time it so that we show up in time for the headlining band, but we showed up at Mezzanine around 11 pm, and because it's the weekend, the second opening band, Stellastarr* hadn't even stepped on stage yet. Oy! Thankfully, Mezzanine has these great comfy couches on the second level, so we just hung out until Stellastarr* was finished their set.

Stellastarr*

The Editors finally hit the stage sometime after midnight (oy!) and I was immediately charmed by the spastic dancing stylings of lead singer Tom Smith, who has an amazing sense of stage presence and awareness. I was also impressed by the clarity of his voice and how well the band sounded, as crisp and clear, if not better, than on media.






I was happy, especially as they rocked the set with my favorites "Munich" and "Bullets". I also got a major case of camera-envy, as some dude in front of me had a pretty nice digi with a huge LCD screen, kickass zoom and he took some sweet shots of the band...I think I may be shopping for a new digi...

On another note, the two back-to-back nights of concerts has solidified my belief that I'm too old to do back-to-back nights of concerts. This does not bode well for us, as we are getting particularly picky in our "maturity" as to what concerts we will get tickets to. We've limited our scope of venues (primarily Bottom of the Hill, Slims, GAMH, Bimbo's, The Independent, Cafe Du Nord, Mezzanine) and the nights that we will go see shows (Friday nights are tough to stay awake after a week of work, Sunday nights are tough because you have to get up and go to work). So ideally, all our favorite bands would come to SF and play our favorite venues and only on Mon-Thurs or Saturdays...and not back-to-back...oh dear.

No comments: