Some friends of mine who I see sporadically used to talk about this little hole-in-the-wall sushi place that they would never tell anyone about because it was so small, soooo good, and they wanted to keep it for themselves. I think that Abe and I found it last night.
The place we went to is called Sushi Zone, and it is a pretty damn tiny place, similar to what Midori Mushi in Hayes Valley was like in terms of size, but far cheaper. Sushi Zone is located on a tiny street called Pearl Street, right at Market, in that nameless neighborhood that is not quite Hayes Valley, the Mission, SOMA or the Civic Center. Some people call it Flax or the Art Deco district or my favorite, the Deco Ghetto. It's right by the Octavia off-ramp from 101.
Everything I heard was true, it's tiny (seats about 15 people), the fish is really good, it's cheaper than most SF places and if you don't get there early, settle in for a long-ass wait. They have only one sushi chef and he puts in a lot of TLC, which explains the wait time. Abe and I were determined to try it and not suffer, so we got there at 6:30 pm and got two seats at the bar. We tried a couple different kinds of cold sake, the amazing sashimi plate (albacore, ahi, salmon, mackerel, shrimp, red snapper, hamachi), the mango hamachi roll, spicy albacore roll, and jalapenos stuffed with albacore...all to die for!
The bonus of getting there so early is that you're not absolutely starving yet. Once you have a seat, you can sit back, chat, enjoy some sake, and eat your food as it comes and as you become more hungry.
After our early dinner, Abe and I walked over to Hotel Biron, a sweet little wine bar in the alley behind Zuni Cafe. Hotel Biron is also known for it's monthly local art installations and super friendly staff who will help you choose your wine wisely. It's a great place to have a glass of wine with some friends and maybe would be a good venue for an art show...




Now how do I steal this sign...
No comments:
Post a Comment