About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Biotech Chicks

July 20, 2006

On Tuesday night, I was invited to a dinner by my co-worker, Bao. This dinner is a monthly meeting of "cool chicks who happen to work in biotech"...wow!...someone thinks I'm cool!

So I picked up Bao after the gym and we headed down to SOMA for dinner, where we battled the crowds heading to AT&T park for the Giants game at the same time...yikes! We were going to Town's End at the intersection of Townsend and Embarcadero for dinner. Apparently, the dinner coordinator, Elyse, had mistakenly made the reservation at Town's End, thinking that she was calling Town Hall...a slight difference, but a new restaurant to try nonetheless.

For dinner, it was me, Bao, Elyse, Steph and Meg, most of whom work at Genentech and come from various parts of life. It was a great way to meet "cool" chicks who do have some things in common, and branch out. One of the common complaints/statements I've heard and believe about SF is that it is very clique-ey, so this was a nice chance to meet people outside of work, frisbee, etc. etc.

Now, about Town's End, the location is interesting, but the actual restaurant design is a little simple, Bao thought it looked a bit like a hotel family restaurant. But, looks can be deceiving, as the food was another matter. As timing would have it, Town's End features a $15.50 prix fixe menu on Tuesdays, where you get three courses: soup or salad, choice of any main dish, and any dessert. Wow! The price of the prix fixe goes up on Wed-Sat, but I'm not sure how much, one review site said $22.50 (a good deal still!)

We shared a nice pinot noir from Russian River Valley (J label). I chose a house salad to start, which was pretty standard. For the entree, I chose the beef short ribs, marinated in red wine and brown sugar and served with baked elbow macaroni with aged sharp white cheddar. The dish was generous in proportions and the short ribs were so tender and delicious. The mac n' cheese was rich but delicious, filling enough to knock out the heartiest of eaters. I couldn't finish the main dish...yowza! Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, so you'll just have to imagine how good this was.

I was too stuffed for dessert, but they offered to give me one to go. To be honest, I don't even remember what I picked, I think I said something like "give me something that travels well". It may have been the cherry tart.

Regardless, the meal was good and a tremendous deal at $15.50. Apparently, the brunch is also very good. I would recommend this place for a good meal for small $$ and to go on a night that does not coincide with a Giants ball game.

I also had a really nice time meeting some new people, who really were "cool chicks in biotech". I hope to make more of their monthly dinners...

No comments: