About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Weekend Wrap-Up: Baby Charlotte, Brunch, Golf, Bowling

July 17, 2006

What a great weekend it was, the weather was great and I didn't have a jam-packed schedule...perfect!

SATURDAY

I headed down to San Jose after a nice morning sleep-in and brekkie (brown sugar and honey sausages with an egg scramble with cherry tomatoes, red onion and cheddar). I was excited to hang out with brand new baby Charlotte at my sister's house, home from the NICU for a week. Baby Simon is still hanging out in the NICU, he had a circumcision a few days ago and had a couple more apnea spells...poor baby!

As soon as I got to the house, I immediately went to go play with Olivia, to reinforce that Auntie Bea still loves her as much as ever. For the rest of the day, I had Charlotte and Olivia pretty much to myself, as Jack ran errands and then when Angie and Jack went to the hospital to see the baby Simon. Charlotte was typical of premature babies, she slept most of the day and was an angel...so easy! I hope she stays that way!









I stayed until pretty late in the evening, and headed back to the city around 11 pm. On my way home, I stopped into Sadie's Flying Elephant bar in Potrero Hill, where Will, Kenny, JonZ, Emily and Woody were hanging out for some post-sushi drinks. Not to long after, we all headed home for some much-need zzzz's....

SUNDAY

Sunday morning offered another glorious sleep-in. Will and I then headed to Slow Club in Potrero Hill to meet up with Katharine and Key for Sunday brunch. This is a great place to come, regardless of when or why. I've enjoyed happy hours, dinners, brunches and private parties. It's a nice industrial space that manages to be cozy with the warm lighting and friendly staff. During the height of the dot-com boom, it was a definite "in" place to be, and it's managed to eek out a nice loyal neighborhood existence.

For brunch:

Bea - grilled chicken salad organic mixed greens, grilled apples, shaved red onion,walnuts, goat cheese & red wine vinaigrette...and a biscuit too.

Will & Kat - chicken ranchero with broken eggs, tortillas, jack cheese, sour cream & ranchero sauce,served with home fries & black beans

Key - slow basic two eggs, home fries, bacon or sausage & a biscuit

The grilled chicken salad was a delight, with huge chunks of fresh goat cheese, lightly marinated chicken, and fantastic apples. It was a good portion and just hit the spot. I also indulged in a fresh and warm biscuit with strawberry jam...yum!


After brunch, Will and I headed home to relax. Later in the afternoon, we hopped in the car and headed over to Harding Park so that we could hit the links of the Fleming 9-hole course. It took a while to get on the course, after all, it was a weekend afternoon. The fog was starting to roll in, and it was a completely different feel from the sunny warmth of our house. We got to tee-off around 4:30 pm and were joined by another couple, Brendan and Laurie. Turns out that Laurie is from Calgary too...what??? Yup, we randomly get put with another twosome that consists of another Canadian...from Calgary!

The golf game was good, I was hitting really well with my irons and not hitting as many trees. Will was a putting maniac, I've never seen him sink so many one-putters or putts from off the green...it was sick! In the end, Will ended up with a 35 and I shot a 42 (par is 30). It was a much better showing than the last time we were out.

From the tees, we went to the lanes. It's just so convenient to drive right to Daly City from Harding Park, so we went to Serra Bowl for a couple games. Our next season of the Genentech Bowling League starts on Monday, so Will was itching to practice. We played 3 games , had some really bad frames, and I ended up with a 146-113-120 series. We were also really distracted by a tournament with scratch bowlers that was going on a few lanes over. Some dude bowled a 300 while we were there!

Anyway, I was beat after our activities and was happy to call it a day after dinner at home. Will still had a 11 pm hockey game...sucker!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea! Angie pointed me to your blog for some photos of the babies. They are so cute!! Can't wait to see them in person!