About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Papa Town

September 27, 2007

Our good friend, Charles (a.k.a. Chucktown), invited us for dinner on Thursday night and to hang out with his father, also Charles (a.k.a. PapaTown), who was in town visiting.

We met up at Suppenkuche in Hayes Valley, yet another little joint that I've wanted to try and never made it to. Very bloggable.

Suppenkuche (pretend that there's two dots over the "u") looks like a German drinking hall that serves up great German fare. Oh, that's because it is. Right. The room was bustling, full of many young and hip individuals.


Charles Kindred III (left) with Charles Kindred II (right). Chucktown has the same laugh as PapaTown...aww....
I started with a cup of the butternut squash soup, which was awesome and made me wish I had ordered the bowl-sized portion. Surprisingly light, it hit the spot.

For dinner, I had the "Sauerbraten mit Preiselbeerkonfitüre, serviert mit Rotkohl und Spätzle"(Translation: marinated and braised beef with cranberries served with red cabbage and spätzle). This was delicious, the beef was tender and the spätzle was delicious (this may be the first time I've had authentic spätzle). The red cabbage had just the nice balance of vinegar to it.

It was great to meet PapaTown and try some great German dishes at the same time. Now I know what Wiener Schnitzel really is. Boy, was I confused!

1 comment:

tw said...

Suppenkuche has an amazing brunch as well (or did a few years ago). You'll have to try it out some weekend morning!