About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Friday, December 21, 2007

It's My Birfday Down Under!

December 21, 2007

It's my 31st birthday, and it will be a memorable one. I was pretty exhausted from the epic fishing trip that we had just got back from, and it was nice to sleep in, particularly after a sweet dinner of bass fish that Johnny had whipped up for us the night before. It was also a little strange, as I was still a little wobbly from being at sea for 3 days.

Will, John and I had a lazy morning, went for noodles in downtown Rotorua, and then headed out to Lake Okareka to meet up with John's friends, Stu and Rob, to go do some water sports on the lake.








I thought that I'd try wakeboarding, but after three disastrous attempts, my forearms were shot and I called uncle. Instead, I opted for the upper-body friendly tubing. The boys tried their darndest to get me off that tube, my butt was mighty sore from all the waves they took me over.



Stu and Gen live right across the street from Lake Okareka and hosted us for dinner that night. John brought some kingfish (yellowtail) and hapuka that we had caught for dinner, as as an appetizer, John used his sweet sashimi knife from Japan to carve up some sashimi for us all. Delish!
View of the lake from Stu & Gen's patio deck:


Dinner was fantastic and I got a sweet birthday cake:

Thanks to Stu & Gen for hosting, and for everyone giving me a sweet 31st birthday!

(Sidenote: Usually I celebrate my birthday with winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, but down in NZ, it's summer solstice, so I got the longest day of the year!)

No comments: