We got back to Rotorua last night after spending 3 nights on a fantastic fishing boat called Pursuit, with lots of stories and pictures of big catches in the Bay of Plenty.
On Monday, Will and I spent the day with Emily (John had one last day of work) and we headed to Whakatane (prounounced fa-ka-tan-ee; weird, I know), where we would be boarding the boat. On the way, we stopped at Julians, a berry farm, for homemade frozen yogurt and ice cream, yum!
Pursuit is owned by skipper Rick Pollock, who is renowned in New Zealand for running one of the best charter operations and has been fishing for over 30 years. He gets help from his new deckhand, Zane, and together, they were our best resources for great fishing.
John had been fishing a couple times with Rick and had planned all of the details for us. Along with the four of us, two of John's fishing buddies, Dave and Pat, were along for the trip.
We got to Ranfurley Banks around 5:30 am and the boat was up and ready for action. It took me some time to get my bearings, but Will, Dave and John were at it immediately. The first dropped lines picked up action as soon as they were in the water and the fishing action was off to a quick start.
I got in on the action finally and managed to get a big bass on my line. It felt like ages (when it was only about 20 minutes) of hard and painful (if not torturous) reeling. Thank goodness Johnny held onto my harness, as there were a couple times when I thought I was going to be pulled into the waters with the fishies. I finally pulled in a large bass fish, approximately 40 kg (~90 lbs). I was exhausted but happy:
There was one moment during the day when I had a bad spell of sea sickness (despite the dramamine), when I had gone below to get more sunscreen (bad idea) and then went to the loo right after (really bad idea; really small space in rolling waters = bad), and I lost a little bit of my powerade into the ocean. Thankfully, that was the only time in the 3 days that I lost it. It really is amazing how much of it is in your head as well. Once you start thinking you're going to get sick, you might as well get sick.
After a big day of fishing and little sleep, we were all knackered, so we got to bed early. Thankfully, we had pulled into Hicks Bay (2 hours from Ranfurley), so it was calmer and we got some zzz's.
On Wednesday morning, we headed back out to Ranfurley Banks after breakfast and got back into the action. Rick had dropped us in an area where we were targeting kingfish, and as with the day before, we had immediate action.
One of the first bites with jigging were some good-sized kingfish. Johnny was reeling in a big kingie when he saw a mako shark in the water going for his fish. He reeled in a big kingie that had been bitten in half by the shark as it was being reeled in:
At some point, Zane convinced me that it would be a good idea to go after a mako shark, so he struck a deal with me, if he and Rick got one on a line, I would reel it in...what was I thinking?
And so, it was like fate, Pat caught a small kingie that a mako had closed in on and taken a piece of, so Zane quickly took the half-eaten kingie and put it on a rod with a mako tracer and after some skilled work, Rick got the mako on the line, passed the rod to me, and I was strapped into the rod and holding on for dear life. It was about 20 minuts of sheer grit and pain, thankfully Johnny was holding onto my harness again, because the shark would sporadically have fits of energy and almost pull me into the water. Rick helped me out by using the boat to help me reel in the shark. Check out the pics below of this amazing experience:
It was another epic day of fishing, with lots of kingies, hapuka, terrakey and trumpeter fish. Everyone pulled in lots of good fish. We headed back to Hicks Bay late, and it took us longer with the stronger winds and currents, and we had a late dinner followed by immediate zzz's.
On Thursday morning, we had to start heading back to Whakatane, estimating another 10 hours or so back, with some trolling for fish along the way.
After brekkie, the boys started the big task of cleaning and filleting the fish that were kept. We also took a few more pics of the epic catches:
We were happy to be back on solid ground, it's a day later and I'm still feeling a little wobbly. Will was the only one who didn't feel much effects of the sea (brat), and I realized that the main difference between this trip and previous ones was that we never set foot on ground in 3 days, whereas with other trips, they were either day trips (in Cabo) or we would anchor and go to land during the trip (during my high school week-long marine biology trip).
It's too bad that Will and I can't take any of the meat home, we'll do our best to feast on the fish as much as possible before we go, and John and Emily will be giving much of it away because they would be eating fish for months otherwise!
Thanks so much to Johnny for planning the trip, and a huge thanks to Rick and Zane for giving us an amazing experience. Rick is truly an amazing skipper and I would highly recommend a trip with him if you ever are in this neck of the woods.
2 comments:
what do you do with fish that big!@
you guys are super douper cool!
unreal!
Your life is better than mine. Your the best, I'm the worst. You were right, I was wrong. You are both good looking, I am not attractive.
Post a Comment