About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pre-Wedding Week: Vancouver

August 12, 2012

Will and I hit the road on Friday morning at 6 AM for a long haul, going from SF to the Canadian border on I-5 in ~15.5 hours, and checked into a hotel in Surrey, BC at 10:30 PM at night.

On Saturday, Will was whisked away with his brother and some boys to an afternoon of sport (lawn bowling), music (fun. in concert!) and dinner. I met up with Vicki and did some errands, lunch, and then headed to Grouse Grind to get some exercise:






I didn't take any pics of the climb, because...I was too sweaty and tired. That climb was tough! It seemed like forever by the time we reached the 1/4 mark and I wasn't sure I would make it, but we did. It took about an hour.


Gondola ride back down:





Vicki and I went for sushi dinner at Mo-Mo Sushi in Gastown, and then grabbed a drink at The Keefer Bar in Chinatown.

The next day, I went for a run from downtown to Granville Island to meet up with Vicki. We grabbed lunch and a chai latte (my favorite!) at Granville Tea Company. Incidentally, we had a celebrity sighting while sipping our chais, we saw actor couple Joshua Jackson and Diane Kruger. They are very good looking.

On Sunday night, Will, Vicki, John and I met up for dinner at Fat Dragon. It's family style asian fusion, and here are the dishes we shared...

Thick-cut Szechuan peppercorn cured pork belly on grilled bread with scallions:


Jalan Alor chicken wings with Malaysian marinade and iceberg lettuce:


Cripsy beef dry dribs with soy-sauce sugar glaze, fried garlic and scallions:


Two different bao buns: 1) crunchy squid with scallion, coriander special smoked chili salt, and 2) spicy pulled pork with 'mapo sauce', and black sesame:


Slow-cooked lamb ribs with char siu marinade and orange:



Dinner was fab and my favorite items were the chicken wings and pork belly (no surprise there!). Thanks the Chans for a fun dinner!

No comments: