About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Thrasher

December 17, 2005

Yesterday afternoon, I slid out of work early to meet up with Will downtown, where the SF office of his company, Nuance, was having a holiday happy hour at the Pied Piper bar in the Palace Hotel. I enjoyed a couple glasses of single-malt scotch (MacAllan 12 and Glenmorangie) and met a bunch of folks who get to work with Will all the time dealing with "compooter" stuff. There were definitely some conversations that were way over my little biotechie head (...platforms, technical support...blah..blah...).

After that tab closed out, we joined some of the Nuance-rs for post-happy hour drinks at a pub called the Old Ship Saloon in the Financial District (Battery @ Pacific). The history of this bar is quite interesting, as it was a landlocked ship called the Arkansas, that was converted into a saloon (in the infamous Barbary Coast district). I was relieved to finally fill my belly with a pub burger to counteract the scotches. I had a very rousing conversation with some of Will's co-workers about dining out in San Francisco. I love meeting fellow Foodies, I'm always amazed how passionate people are about good food (and if you read this blog at all, you'd know that I'm one of them).

So, after that part of the night said it's goodbyes, Will and I headed over to Slim's, for the Thrasher Magazine's 16th Annual Skater of the Year (S.O.T.Y.) party. We met up with Wendy, Anna, Ashley, Pete, and Dave. Dave came up from LA for a weekend of festivities in SF and had hooked all of us up with tix for this party. Apparently, his sister, knew a guy who worked for Thrasher and liked license plates from the Northwest Territories, who had met Dave and gone biking, and was Dave's hookup.

Wendy, Dave & Anna discussing what they think of Chris Cole

Video clips of why Chris Cole is the Skater of the Year

Anyway, the funny part was none of us know much about the whole skater scene and we were clueless as to who Chris Cole was. Turns out he's a pretty rad skater. There was a line-up of punk bands: Manic Hispanic, Time Again and Mercy Killers. I've actually seen Manic Hispanic before, when they played at one of the crazy Incredibly Strange Wrestling parties years ago (Mucha Lucha!).
Celebratory balloons that just wouldn't fall...

Pete impregnated with one of the balloons that finally fell

Wendy & Pete with their VIP passes

No comments: