About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Weekend Re-Cap: High-Altitude Training

October 16, 2006

Last weekend was spent in South Lake Tahoe for some high-altitude training and good times with my frisbee team, Brass Monkey. The majority of our team crammed into Dave Brokaw's sweet cabin (which becomes the best cabin ever in the ski season). Wendy, Anna, Coco and I drove up in Lavonda the Honda in the wee hours of Saturday morning. Apparently, it only takes 3 hours to get to South Lake from SF in the wee hours of the morning. It may have something to do with my lead foot.

We had practice from 11am-3pm at Zephyr Cove Park, and I'm not going to lie to you, running at 6000 ft elevation is not a good time. It was an odd challenge in heat regulation as well, due to the lovely temperatures and sunny weather. All I can remember is a lot of running and some throwing and catching.

After practice, we headed back to the cabin for an afternoon of lazying around, hot-tubbing, massive food preparation, Settlers of Katan, card games, and good music. And Irish car bombs.













My camera finally is dying a slow death. The LCD screen is kaput and I couldn't view any of the pictures I was taking and didn't realize the following were on the wrong setting....



In my frustration over the camera, I hopped on Pat's laptop and promptly ordered a new digicam on Amazon.com. As good as the Canon S400 has treated me over the last few years, I am now eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new Canon SD700IS, with 6 megapixels, 4X zoom and image stabilizing zoom in the same size of the my last camera.

We gorged on a ridiculous display of food that was part of the "Thanksgiving" menu: turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, cornbread, salad, sweet potato pie, apple crisp, corn, casserole, and so on, and so on. After the gluttony, most of the team headed over the stateline to the bad, evil casinos. Some changes have occurred in South Lake, as Caesar's is no more, as it is now MontBleu and Club Nero is now Club Bleu. We gambled (I lost my pot in craps), danced, and drank. Good times all around. By midnight, we were toast, as we had been drinking since 3 pm.

On Sunday morning, there was plenty of sleeping-in, followed by yummy brekkie and some more lazy hanging out and games. We practiced from 12:30-4:30ish. The weather was beautiful again, and although it was still painful to run around, I didn't feel the need to be rescuscitated after every point or drill.

The drive home proved to be yet another challenge, as a landslide on Hwy 50 past Strawberry resulted in a 1.5 hour detour back to South Lake and past Kirkwood to get home. About 5.5 hours later, we got home. Sheesh.

Regardless, the weekend was a great chance for our team to train hard, enjoy eachother's company, and prep for our trip to Sarasota next week. I can't wait!

More photos from our team Tahoe weekend can be found on Pat's website here.

No comments: