Will and I are about to take off for two weeks of vacation, and will be missing Key's big 30th birthday next week. So in lieu of an accurately timed birthday dinner, we took him out for an early birthday dinner to Nopa. Abe came along too, as he'll be in NYC next week.
This was my second visit to Nopa, as the first one ingrained this restaurant on my top 5 list with a memorable meal. You can only make reservations for this place on the day you want to dine and can call after 2 pm to do so. And with the first visit, we had to wait for our table despite having reservations, this place is busy!
So we started with a couple drinks at the bar. I had the Old Cuban (white rum, mint, sugar, lime juice, cava), which tasted like a slightly sour mojito.
Once seated, we were treated to the "amuse bouche" of sliced granny smith apples with a house-made peanut "butter" spread. It was delish, and I usually don't even like peanut butter.
Key started with the braised lamb riblets with coriander and mint. I remembered these tasty gems with a kick from the first visit and they were yummy again.
Abe couldn't resist the wood-baked runner beans with feta and oregano, one his Nopa favorites.
And, I just had to have the wild salmon carpaccio with mizuno and extra virgin olive oil, I can never say no to raw fish.
The entrees:
Key had the grass-fed hamburger with fries and harissa aioli. He seemed to enjoy and the boys couldn't stop stealing his french fries.
Abe had the pan-seared black cod with green lentils and wilted chicones. He was devastated that the halibut with corn salsa was not on the menu and opted for the "other" fish instead. He cleaned off his plate, so it couldn't have been that bad.
Both Will and I just had to have the spit-roasted london broil with potato gratin and blue cheese butter. The description alone does not capture how mouth-wateringly good this dish was. The wilted greens were amazing too. Amazingly rich, note to self, you do not need an appetizer with this bad boy.
The desserts:
Abe had to stick with his favorite warm donut holes with rum caramel sauce. The donut holes are good, but it's the ridiculously good rum caramel sauce that makes this dish. I was so stuffed I couldn't even have a donut hole. I did however, have a lick of rum caramel sauce...
Key ordered the cranberry-orange sorbet with vanilla cookies. I usually like sorbet as dessert, because it's light and a nice palate-cleanser. Too bad I was so damn full.
HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY KEY!





1 comment:
that's 25! I was born in '81! i graduated high school class of '99! yes, i'm practicing my numbers...
Post a Comment