Coco's 30th birthday occurred while we were all in Sarasota, FL chasing after a plastic disc, so we celebrated his belated milestone on Thursday night at one of his favorite restaurants, Oola.
Oola is located on Folsom in the SOMA district, and is also one of my favorites, although on this night, the service was a little lackluster. Thankfully, the food did not disappoint.

Leechee sake martini...yum! The appetizers:
Liz had the mussels (a feature of the day) to start.
Will and I were so hungry that we demolished two of the three infamous ALL NATURAL BABY BACK RIBS (with cilantro, ginger and soy glazed with a red cabbage-apple slaw) before I even remembered to take a picture. Delicious!
Coco and Aaron ordered the POTATO WRAPPED DAY BOAT SCALLOPS (with dijon-truffle jus vinaigrette, asparagus and oven dried tomatoes) to start. These were very good, and although I usually prefer my scallops wrapped in bacon, the potato was very good.
The fries were a hit. We just had to keep re-ordering. Fried potatoes with parmesan and truffle oil. I usually don't go ga-ga over fries, but I was definitely ga-gaing.
The entrees:
I've been craving duck lately, so I went for the CONFIT OF DUCK (with fennel confit, cherry compote, huckleberry sauce and shaved fennel salad), which hit the spot. Although I could barely fit it in my belly with all those ribs and fries...
Both Aaron and Coco had the entree-sized portion of the same baby-back rib appetizer that Will and I started with.
Will had the PAN ROASTED MAHIMAHI (with tomato coulis, ratatouille, olives, cherry tomatoes).
Liz had the FIG AND GOAT CHEESE TART (with onion jam, aged balsamic, olive oil and mixed greens).
Will couldn't resist ordering the goat cheddar mac & cheese as well. Yowza, very rich but good. I could only have one bite.


HAPPY 30TH COCO!
No comments:
Post a Comment