About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Vacation Update: Cabo San Lucas, baby!

November 15, 2006

Will and I arrived in Cabo on Monday afternoon...sweet! We flew into San Jose Del Cabo, which is a 45 minute shuttle road to Cabo San Lucas. We were staying at Marina Fiesta Resort, where my parents are timeshare members, which is located in right on the marina in downtown Cabo. The last time we were in Cabo was with my family (mom, dad, Angie, Jack, Olivia and Terrina) the week after Christmas 2004 (NYE 2005).

I keep trying to upload photos, and all looks good from the technical side, but alas, no photos get uploaded and Bea is sad. I'll have to entertain you with photos when I get home...

On Monday night, we settled into our room and then headed for dinner. We took the easy route and headed to the restaurant that we had dinner at the first night in Cabo almost two years ago, called Stoplight Bar & Grill. I had the lobster tail combination, that included 2 lobster tails, some pasta, and a piece of sirloin steak with grilled onions, all for $16. Steal of a deal.

One thing that we're trying to get used to is the target that seems to be on both our heads, as it seems that the locals like to approach small tables of 2...a lot. We're getting very used to saying "no, gracias" to every accordian-playing, chiclet-selling, necklace-bearing, toy-turtle-holding individual who stops by to say hello. We're getting better at not paying attention to everyone who demands our attention, which is a lot. Everyone is so damn persistent.

Tuesday consisted of the following schedule:
  • sleep in, waking only to put the "Please do not disturb" sign up
  • finally wake up at 10:30 am (hooray!)
  • slather on some strategic sun tan lotion (SPF 50 for the already-super-dark areas; SPF 15 for the areas hidden by my frisbee garb)
  • bake in the sun a-la-rotisserie-chicken style until we can't take the heat (approximately 1.5 hours?)
  • have a light lunch in the bar-restaurant
  • go to the gym and attack the elliptical and stationary bike for an hour
  • get 80-minute deep tissue massages
  • relax (...after all, the day's been so stressful...)
  • go for dinner at Mi Casa (recommended by the staff here); the carnitas was to die for, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the food, as mexican fare is usually not a priority for me
  • watch movies and go to sleep

To be honest, this is exactly the vacation we needed. We're in no rush, don't have a ton of activities planned, and aren't up for any crazy partying (I'm too old anyway...). I don't think I've truly relaxed on a vacation in almost 2 years.

Today's (Wednesday) itinerary went something like this:

  • sleep in until 9 am
  • hop on a shuttle and go to a "vacation ownership" schpiel that is only supposed to take 90 minutes but takes 2.5 hours from our lives that we'll never get back. We were inspired to do this because it makes expensive deep sea fishing become not-so-expensive-at-all deep sea fishing.
  • eat brunch with a "vacation ownership" salesman thrilling us with his pitch
  • say no many times to a trillion offers and deals that are thrown at us at the "vacation ownership" experience.
  • back at Marina Fiesta, bake in the sun for a couple hours in the afternoon.
  • I hop on my computer while Will goes and pumps some iron (he's such a stud!)

And now, we'll hunt down some more delish eats tonight and take it pretty easy again, as we're off for some fishing adventures tomorrow morning at 6:30 am for 6 hours or so (no sleep in tomorrow!).

Wish us luck on the seas!

No comments: