About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Alamere Falls

February 17, 2008


On Sunday, Key and I headed to the southern part of Point Reyes National Seashore to do the hike to Alamere Falls from the Palomarin Trailhead along the Coast Trail. I had been meaning to do this hike for some time, and it's great that I'm back to tackling my list of things to do in the bay area (other than play frisbee).

This is an out and back hike that is approximately 11 mile round trip. The Coastal Trail is moderate to easy, with rolling hills and sights of two lakes (Bass and Pelican) along the way.











The Alamere Falls Trail is not maintained and is less than half a mile to the falls.

At the first bluff, there's a scramble down dirt and rock faces to get to the small feeder water falls (this is already kind of sketchy, but I imagine it would be extremely sketchy with lots of people and if it was wet). We were lucky and there weren't that many people there already.




From the top part of the falls, there's another scramble down a much sketchier face that has crumbly and loose rock, making this descent a lot more difficult.




We had lunch at the top of Alamere Falls and turned back to hike back to Palomarin. On the way back, the trails were noticeably much busier, with lots of groups tramping towards the falls.

It took us 1.5 hours to get to the falls, and just under that to get back, so about 3 hours round trip.

After we got back to the Palomarin trailhead, we headed northward to Tomales Bay so that I could get my fresh oyster fix at Hog Island Oyster Company in Marshall, CA. I had brought a big cooler, some oyster mignonette that I had made the night before, and all the tools for us to enjoy some oysters right at the farm.

It's such a great deal to visit the oyster farm ($1/oyster for Kumamotos, $0.64/oyster for X-small Sweetwaters), versus ordering oysters at a restaurant (usually $2.50-3 a piece). I bought some extras home for Will and I to enjoy later.

We also made a short pit stop at The Marshall Store on Hwy 1, just south of Hog Island. They make an awesome clam chowder that we had to have.


By the time we got home around 5 pm, we were spent. It had been a wonderful California day.

No comments: