Nothing screams good times more than a winter storm warning during the ski season. Oh goody!
I skiied on Saturday with Will, Heather and Scott, and I got to check out a bunch of new terrain in Heavenly and out of bounds through back country gates that I never go to because the traverses on a snowboard are usually very awful. But on skis, I could actually make it. However, I quickly realized that my legs are not "ski legs" and I was struggling in powder on my skis. Oh, to be 10 years old again. We went to Fullstone (backcountry gate), did some runs in Mott Canyon and Killebrew, headed to Firebreak (another backcountry gate) and then to Raley's Gulch (yet another backcountry gate). The snow was awesome pretty much everywhere we went, and the big snow was yet to come!
When we got back the cabin, Will was excited to do some silly jump building again (an annual indulgence), and I helped him up. This time, the design was to take off from the top of the upstairs deck, down past the driveway and off a lip of snow that was from snowplowing. I took a bunch of pics and videos are below.
Here are a series of videos from Will, Chevy, Wendy and Pat (with a sled!) going off the deck. Ridonkulous.
Saturday night brought another 18 inches of new snow at lake level, sweet!
Will and I headed to the mountain early (in time for the first lifts!) to do laps of Gunbarrel before heading back to the bay area (he had a red-eye flight on Sunday night, so we had to make sure we had plenty of time to get back). I snowboarded on Sunday, and realized that I'm not a very good powder boarder either. It's so much work! But I had a much better time when I went into the trees beside Gunbarrel, where I didn't have to deal with rock-hard moguls underneath the powder. Phew!
No matter how tired I was, it was well worth the effort to spend quality time with good snow. Oh, lovely pow-pow.
No comments:
Post a Comment