September 5, 2009


Jay Electronica is a pretty dope emcee, but he didn't have a chance to really get into his stuff (he was the first opener), and he seemed a little uncomfortable being in a large venue, as opposed to a smaller hip hop club. His lyrics are pretty profound, though.
On Thursday night, I caught up with Will, Robert, Sue Hee, Sara, Henrik and Jo for a quickie dinner at Double Decker (yummy cheap food! hooray for wings!) in Hayes Valley before we all headed over to the Davies Symphony Hall to catch Mos Def, Erykah Badu and Jay Electronica in concert.
Henrik had gotten an extra pair of awesome tickets (9th row!) and Will and I were the lucky takers:


Jay Electronica is a pretty dope emcee, but he didn't have a chance to really get into his stuff (he was the first opener), and he seemed a little uncomfortable being in a large venue, as opposed to a smaller hip hop club. His lyrics are pretty profound, though.
Erykah Badu played with a large group of DJs surrounded by something like 9 Mac computers, who call themselves the Cannabinoids. They have a more "extraterrestrial" sound and it was a quite the departure for Ms. Badu. I love her old stuff, she did harken some "Love of My Life" and did a version of "Appletree" on crack. Interesting set.
Mos Def is always awesome. However, I preferred him at Yoshi's with his full jazz band, compared to being supported by two DJs. Mos did take on some drumming, which was fun. And, he did a sweet tribute to Michael Jackson.
The concert was pretty fun, but I was one tired puppy, with work taking an extra special toll on my lately. I do however, always love hearing music in the Davies Symphony Hall, the acoustics in that place are out of this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment