About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Commonwealth

October 3, 2010

On Sunday night, Will and I met up with Ian and Catherine to go check out the new restaurant in the Mission called Commonwealth. This new joint also happens to be the new venture for chef Jason Fox, previously of Bar Tartine and a good friend of Margulies.

We had an early 5:30 reservation as the boys had a 8:45 PM hockey game, and it was nice to check out the dining room before it got busy (which it did).
The server brought over house-made potato chips with a malted vinegar foam:
We started with the shishito peppers with goat cheese and rose. There were a few killer spicy ones in there, but the goat cheese and rose were a nice complement to the peppers.


I had the marrow-stuffed squid with tamarind pork, shelling beans, black garlic and cilantro, which was a pretty tasty and rich starter.
Will had the potato gnocchi with corn, maitake mushrooms, sage, parmesan reggiano and truffle oil. It was very good and I know he was super happy with it.

For entree, I had the braised lamb cheeks with burnt eggplant, chard, miso and mint. Also very good and surprisingly filling for what seemed to be a smaller portion. With my starter, it was the perfect-sized meal for me.
Will had the pork with crispy pig ears, and some other accompaniments that I cannot remember.
We shared the "White Russian" dessert, which is a raw milk mousse on top of coffee ice cream, vodka gelee and genoise cake. OMG.

Ian and Catherine had the cinnamon mille feuille with cardamon marshmallow, chocolate ganache and burnt honey ice cream (kind of like a "deconstructed s'more).

Commonwealth was good food in a nice setting, go check it out. And did I mention they have a small parking lot next to the entrance? Get an early reso and you're guaranteed a spot!

No comments: