October 27, 2010
On Wednesday night, Will, Robert, Abe and I headed to
Frances for dinner (prying ourselves from the TV playing Game 1 of the World Series to get to our really-hard-to-get reservations). Frances is Melissa Perello's venture, and it's been a challenge for me to finally eat here (previous reservations cancelled due to work travel, etc.).


Applewood smoked bacon beignets with maple creme fraiche and chive:

Totally forgot to take a snap before we dug in, but we also shared the grilled calamari with corno di toro peppers, preserved lemon and sicilian olive:

Will had the Five Dot Ranch Bavette steak with piperade, creamy butter beans and sauce bordelaise:

I had the Californian black cod with roasted red kuri squash, melted leeks and chanterelles (a-ma-zing!):

Abe had the saffron risotto with butter braised wild mushrooms, summer squash and tomato:

Robert had the Soul Food Farm chicken with creamy polenta, lacinato kale, and rome beauty apples:

We sampled the house wine, which goes for $1 per ounce, a pretty awesome deal:

Desserts to share, starting with the bittersweet chocolate mousse with candied pistachios, devil's food cake and cocoa meringue crisps:

"Lumberjack Cake" with french butter pear, medjool dates, and maple-walnut ice cream:

Frances was well worth the wait, and I could see why they received their first Michelin star (awarded the day before). Definite recommendation and go-back (if I can get a reservation, that is!).
Oh yea, and how about them Giants?!?!
No comments:
Post a Comment