About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Booty Camp

January 5, 2006

It's been 5 days since NYE and I'm still exhausted and dragging my feet at work. The guilt of all the slothness and calorie intake of the holidays has propelled me into the gym every day of the week, so I'm sure that the elevated aerobic activity has contributed to my exhaustion.

We decided to reinstitute Wednesday Night Running Club (WNRC), which consists of me, Katharine, Key and sometimes Wendy, going for a "run". This usually involves a snail's pace of 10 min/mile for 2-3 miles at Kezar (or the Marina or GG Park during the summer) while we catch eachother up on life events. Last night, we were heading to Kezar when Wendy told us about a new gym that she and Anna joined in the Castro, close to their house. They got two free sessions with a personal trainer named Steve, who happens to run a "Booty Camp" on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights at Kezar.

The deal is that you show up, pay $6, and do an hour of combination strength, core, plyo and aerobic exercises at Kezar for an all-body workout, with emphasis on, of course, your booty. According to Steve, it's "An hour of intensive, yet fun, ass-centric exercise that hits your body from nipples to knees". So, we all decided to try it out.

It was great. I was a little tired/sore from a the gym classes, but it was a good challenge. Steve was great at pushing you to your individual limit, and it's nice to be in a group exercise environment outside in the fresh air. I already do a lot of those exercises at the gym, but not necessarily all in one session.

I'd be up for doing the Booty Camp every week. In case you're interested, it's called "Steve's Booty Camp S.F.".
Wednesdays - 7 pm
Sundays - 11:30 am
$6
Kezar Stadium (Upper Haight)


Later in the evening, Will, Wendy and I ventured over to the Marina (I know, I know, the Marina...) to join up with Ron Kubalanza and his 31st birthday celebration at Bar None on Union Street. Lots of folks were on hand to help Ron enter his 31st year in style, and there was even a cake! By the time we got there, Ron definitely didn't need the shot of Jamieson's that I got him, or the laundry list of drinks that followed that.

Things don't change much at Bar None--there was the music sounded like a soundtrack to one of my junior high dances, the standard little girls that rudely bump into you with their designer jean-clad butts and little purses, and the big beefy guys in rugby shirts and backwards ball caps. It really does crack me up how such a small geographical city can have such distinctive neighborhoods with characteristic and sterotypical demographics.

Anyway, Happy 31st Birthday! to Ron, cheers to many more bowling trophies with the Three Wise Men!

Sidenote: Congratulations to Shaun Webb, who has broken out of the confines of "employment" and is pursuing greater life challenges.

No comments: