Every January, I get a little excited because of a little program called Dine About Town. Dine About Town is in its fifth year of existence and is a month-long promotional program that enlists an impressive gaggle of SF restaurants to participate. During January, you can go to the participating restaurants for a three-course meal for lunch that costs $21.95 or dinner that costs $31.95.
Usually, this provides a great opportunity to go and try restaurants that I've been wanting to try, and for a reasonable cost. I say reasonable, not cheap, because it's usually a good deal, but in combination with cocktails or wine, it can still add up to a hefty bill. I also would think that it's a good chance for restaurants to woo new customers with their culinary wares to come back and try their regular menu, especially in the "slow" dining season post-holidays.
Ozumo on Friday, January 13

Key and I drove up from South SF to meet up with Will and JonZ last Friday for lunch. I had always wanted to try Ozumo, but I had heard that it was very costly, yet very good. And seeing as how you can get really good sushi pretty much anywhere in the city, I had yet to stretch my wallet at Ozumo. And Ozumo was where Abe had the infamous $40 toro.
For the Dine About Town menu, you could only choose the third course for the meal. The first course was a mixed salad with miso dressing, second course was sashimi (tuna, salmon, hamachi), and for the third course, I chose the chicken teriyaki bowl. I also had a mango-raspberry spritzer (I felt a little cheesy ordering it, but damn was it good). All in all, it was a good meal, but not anything to gush on and on about. I didn't feel that Ozumo did a very good job "woo-ing" us, and now I can officially check this "Top 100" restaurant off my list.
Frisson on Tuesday, January 17

Will, Wendy, Key and I went to Frisson last night. Frisson is a poshy Financial District restaurant that is known for exotic cocktails, clientele of famous actors, and New York chef Sarah Schafer's New American cuisine. A definite place to try during Dine About Town.
There were choices at each course, except dessert, when they ran out of one of the selections:
Appetizers
Will = parsnip soup • quince chutney, swiss chard, oxtail raviolis
Bea = sea scallops • tarragon-beet puree, mâche salad, chilean olive oil, vanilla bean vinaigrette
Entrees
Bea = seared duck breast • brandied raisin soft polenta, roasted cipollini onions, baby bok choy, calvados jus
Will = mirin & miso glazed salmon• beech mushrooms, celery root puree, napa cabbage, shiro dashi, daikon sprouts
Dessert
chocolate hazelnut ganache • vanilla -malted pound cake, warm hazelnut foam
Wine
Ross Estate Grenache
The meal was good, the portions were a little smaller than other places, but probably better for the waistline. Another check off the list.
No comments:
Post a Comment