About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Weekend Re-Cap: Off the Deck or Bust

March 4, 2007

The "gentle" dusting of snow in the Sierras was enough motivation to head up to Tahoe this last weekend. As a result, I was abandoning my SFUC winter league team during the season-ending tournament, but this would be one of the last couple of weekends left for me this season due to travels in the next month. (Sorry Seymour Butz! I hope you guys kicked ass this weekend!)

We've been thanking our lucky stars or the good traffic karma we've been experiencing lately, as we clocked another just-over 3-hour drive to South Lake on Friday night. Sweet!

SATURDAY

I woke up relatively early again so that I could go to the hill with Jojo and Chevy. Those two always aim to get a full day of skiing and do a pretty good job of cramming as much into each day. We were all over the Nevada side. We intended to go check out the Firebreak backcountry but Olympic chair was on hold for most of the morning, so we stuck to the Milky Way-Mott loop and dabbled in the North Bowl trees. By the time we got over to Olympic, there wasn't quite enough time to do Firebreak and make sure we could catch the lifts before they closed to get back to the car at Stagecoach. Oh well. Good day nonetheless.

Back at the cabin, plans were percolating in Will's mind for doing something stupid involving launching off the stairs/deck at the cabin. Every year it's something silly, like a tow-in booter or pond-skimming.

Prepping the stairs/deck for the jump:







Notice how there's a tree in front of the take-off spot off the deck...


Here's Will flattening/packing down the snow on the stairs.



I trekked out into the big yard to record the events. Check out the snow shoes I borrowed from Chookie and Martha:


The paparrazzi...

The pit crew



Here is a selection of videos of Will, Wendy and Chevy launching off the deck at the cabin:






















The rest of the evening was pretty mellow following the silliness of the deck jumping. We ordered pizza from Lake Tahoe Pizza. My favorite pizza is the Tahoe Delight (sausage, beef, mushrooms and onions) and we add sundried tomatoes. Well, we usually add sundried tomatoes but they forgot to actually "add" them.

We also watched Christopher Guest's newest release on DVD, "For Your Consideration". I'm a huge fan of Christopher Guest's movies (Best In Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting For Guffman, This Is Spinal Tap), but his latest wasn't close to being on the same level as those great films. Same great cast, but it was a little flat. Too bad.

SUNDAY

I woke up on Sunday morning relatively early again, but Jojo was eagerly off to the mountains and I had no energy to rally in 5 minutes. In the end, Will, Kenny, Ashley and I had a lazy Sunday morning, culminating in brunch at Ernie's Coffee Shop.

Will and Ashley had been raving about a dish called the Huevos Ernesto since the last time we came here, so I had to try it. It's like having nachos for breakfast.

There's spicy beef, over-easy eggs, avocado buried under that mound of home-made salsa and sour cream. It was really tasty, but I was terribly full after eating about 2/3 of it. Maybe it's even better when you're hungover...



Will and I got back in the car shortly after brunch and clocked another whopping 3-hour drive home...this is the best driving season ever! Will had just gotten back from work travels in Dallas and Chicago last week, so he was psyched to get home early (4:30 pm!) and catch up on life. The weather was beautiful in the city!

It was perfect timing to come home early too, as our good friend Steph Chow was in town and was coming into SF to stay with us for a couple days. She coaches the UBC girls' frisbee team that was in town for the Stanford Invite.

We headed down to the Mission, and ended up at Ti Couz for dinner. It's been ages since I've had some good food from this well-known creperie.

Steph had the savory scallops crepe...
...while Will opted for the savory sausage and cheese crepe...


...and believe it or not, I had a salad. I think I was still full from that damn Huevos Ernesto! This was a great salad, with shrimp, scallops, and lightly-seared tuna, topped with egg, tomatoes, corn, rice and capers. Yum!

From Ti Couz, we headed to the 500 Club, one of the best dive bars in the city, for drinks with Abe, Woody and JonZ.


We called it a night around 11 pm, as it is a school night!

No comments: