About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Vancouver Island

August 13, 2008


On Monday morning, the weather was glorious and I went for a 6 mile run along Kits Beach, past Granville Island, along False Creek and back to Kits. In fact, it was almost too hot for me, thank goodness for the abundance of water fountains throughout the run.

I headed downtown to the infamous shopping mecca on Robson Street for the afternoon. I also grabbed some awesome sushi at Tsunami Sushi, which has a huge sushi boat bar and I try to frequent this joint every time I'm close to Robson.

My plan was to take the 6:55 PM ferry from Horsehoe Bay to Departure Bay at Nanaimo, so I wandered around Stanley Park until I needed to head to North Vancouver.









I met up with Will later in the evening the Departure Bay Ferry Terminal in Nanaimo. Will was coming from a weekend with the boys in Tofino (bachelor guys trip!). We drove over to Mike and Susan's new place in Arbutus Ridge, a community close to Cowichan Bay.



We spent Tuesday relaxing and catching up with Mike and Susan at their new house, with sweeping views of Saltspring Island and the water.





On Tuesday, we took it easy, did some touring around the island. We had lunch in Maple Bay at the Shipyard Restaurant, where I enjoyed some wonderfully battered halibut for late lunch.



From Maple Bay, we hopped over to Genoa Bay, and then onto Cowichan Bay.

Cowichan Bay features a great little community with organic food vendors and lots of local artists.

Will and I stayed through Thursday at Mike & Susan's. Our visit featured fantastic meals with super fresh organic ingredients grown on the island, a game of tennis (my new fave sport!), lots of Olympics spectating, and a lively game of euchre.

On Thursday, we caught lunch in Victoria before getting on the 2 PM ferry from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen and be back in Vancouver by late afternoon. Pics from the deck of the ferry:





Thanks to Mike and Susan for a lovely few days at their new home!

No comments: