Friday night rolled around and Abe decided that we needed to go for dinner and have some drinks in celebration of him re-appearing on the face of earth after dealing with house stuff for many, many moons.
So, Abe, Austin, Robert and I went down to the 22nd & Valencia neighborhood (in the pouring rain, took me forever to get a cab!) and met at Spork, the new-ish restaurant that took over the old Kentucky Fried Chicken on Valencia.
We started with a couple shared appetizers:
Roasted figs with goat cheese (organic black mission figs, whipped goat cream, lamb's lettuce, pine nuts, aged sherry). This was a nice and light starter, I'm a big fan of figs and apparently they go really well with goat cheese...
Griddled local calamari (wild caught monterey bay calamari, asian slaw, sesame soy vinaigrette). I was really impressed with the calamari. I guess I always assume that calamari is going to be breaded and fried, but not the case with this dish. The calamari was tender, not chewy and the soy vinagrette was lovely.
Robert had the In-side-out burger (a fork and knife burger with all natural grass fed patties, caramelized onions, tillamook cheddar, smashed fries).
Both Abe and I had the Lazy Ravioli (fresh egg pasta, butternut squash puree, fresh ricotta, sage and brown butter, walnuts, parmigiano reggiano). Yes, it's true, I had a main entree without meat in it. And it was good. The "lazy" part of it is that they pieces are not typical individual raviolis, it almost looked like a pasta crepe with everything tucked inside but not sealed. The butternut squash and ricotta was tasty, but the kicker was the sage and brown sugar butter...you can't go wrong with that combination. The pasta was a bit al dente, which was a bit distracting, but otherwise, a solid dish.
Austin had the Mussels and Pork with a Spork (mediterranean mussels, roast pork, belgian beer, green beans, smoked chili aioli). He seemed to enjoy the meal, and he had a spork to eat with, so that must've been fun.
Ooh, beignets!
After dinner, we ambled over to Latin America Club (bad mistake) and had a few cocktails, which is more like the equivalent of a lot of cocktails the way they pour the drinks there. Wendy joined in on the shenanigans. I headed home to a wonderful sleep before I could get into too much trouble.
No comments:
Post a Comment