About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mission In The Mix

June 22, 2008

Will flew to Orlando on Sunday for three days of work, so I spent the afternoon with Sue Hee, Susan and Wendy downtown.

On Sunday night, Sloane and I went to go see Kali perform with her hip hop workshop at Dance Mission as part of the Mission In the Mix show. The show is a 6-night performance (3 nights this weekend, 3 nights next weekend) that features the hip hop workshops under the tutelage of famous SF choreographer and producer, Micaya, as well as several performances by Micaya's dance company, SoulFource, and some guest troupes.


Here's a video clip of Kali's beginner/intermediate workshop group doing their routine (I ran out of memory, so it's not the full routine):




They all did a great job, and Sloane and I are inspired to sign up for next year's workshop. It looked so great!

The night was really fun. SoulForce is a diverse dance company, including jazz, contemporary, tap and artistic dance in addition to their hip hop arsenal. The guest dance groups were fantastic as well. My favorite was a small group of three ladies called the Fireflies, who incorporated poi and hula hoop into their sweet hip hop routine.

There's three more shows this weekend if you want to check it out, it's a really entertaining time.

No comments: