About Me

My photo
Originally from Canada, I live in San Francisco, CA and work for a biotech company.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Slanted Door & Cote Sud

June 5, 2008

Slanted Door:

I've been getting a lot of heat lately from all of you who have been commenting on the work perks and team events/dinners that I've been doing with my company (which really have been unusually plentiful in the last couple months). But it's true, I do work for a great company (Genentech), I work pretty hard, and I'm very proud of what we do. So, while you're putting together your resume for me to submit to my company for a job, you might as well read about and see the pics from the last team lunch I went to (below), which I promise is the last one in a long while.

This team lunch was for one of the teams that had some great successes earlier this year, but it was also a goodbye lunch for a clinical scientist who has been pivotal to the success of this project and who is transitioning to another project. We headed to Slanted Door in the Ferry Building and enjoyed a set menu of dishes served family style.

It has been almost 3 years since I had been to Slanted Door, the last time was for Wendy's 30th birthday where she flirted with Mayor Gavin Newsome (it was also the second blogspot that I had ever written).

Shredded chicken breast with green cabbage, crispy shallots and vermicelli.
Slanted Door spring rolls with shrimp, pork, mint and peanut sauce.
Crispy imperial rolls with shrimp, pork, glass noodles and peanuts. (My fave!)
Niman Ranch shaking beef (cubed filet mignon with garlic, watercress and red onions).
Grilled five-spice chicken with tamarind dipping sauce.
Cellophane noodles with fresh dungeness crab meat.
Chue Farm baby bok choy with baby shiitake mushrooms.


Congrats to the team for working hard and good luck to Jakob, we'll miss you!

Cote Sud:

In the evening, Key, Will and I went for dinner at Cote Sud, just a hop and a skip away from our place in the Castro. Cote Sud is participating in the June version of Dine About Town (which usually only happens in January every year), featuring a 3-course dinner for $31.95.


Amuse bouche of lobster bisque. Very tasty, indeed.
Soup of the day, a cauliflower soup, which was nice and light, though lacking a bit of salt.
Sea scallops a la provençale. The pastry was wonderful, possibly the best part of the dish.
Trio of sorbets: passion fruit, coconut and lychee.
Overall, the meal was very nice. Will and Key had the duck a l'orange and the rack of lamb, respectively, which I thought were stronger dishes than the scallops that I had.

Apparently, Cote Sud has a prix fixe menu every night, regardless of Dine About Town, so it's another great option for a french-food-fix in my hood.

No comments: