We did one more restaurant as part of Dine About Town, Cortez. This time it was Sandy, Sue Hee, Wendy, Key, Will and I. I had been wanting to try Cortez for years, which had changed ownership and food styling over the years (didn't it used to be a spanish tapas place?).
Cortez offered two amuse bouche to start, the first was a dollop of homemade yogurt, breadcrumbs and other goodies.
The second amuse bouche was a potato leek soup with crispy pancetta:

To start, I had the slow roasted baby beet and burrata salad with Arrowsmith farms micro greens and edible blossoms:
For the entree, I chose the Duo of Niman Ranch Beef, featuring a bavette steak and braised cheek, with glazed Thumbelina carrots and cippolini onions, date puree and preserved lemon jus, very delicious:
There were two choices of dessert, I tried some of Will's sugar and spice beignets with Valrhona chocolate fondue (beignets are everywhere these days!):
I had chose the Swanton Farms strawberry sorbet, with basil candy, lemon verbena creme fraiche, and Hawaian black sea salt, very tasty sorbet:


Overall, the food was fantastic at Cortez, but the real downer was the service. It was inconsistent, and off-tempo. I would suggest trying Cortez if you happen to be in the area and want some good food, but aren't in a rush or too picky for good service.
1 comment:
Could someone Photoshop out my double-chin? Thanks. :)
Post a Comment